Developing fungal infections on your feet can be uncomfortable and embarrassing, especially during hot summer months when you want to show off your feet! Fungi that cause infections in the skin and nails can be found all around us, but they prefer environments that are dark, moist, and warm, which is why the feet are a common infection site. Fungal infections that develop in between the toes are athlete’s foot, which can transfer to the toenails to become nail fungus that penetrates in and underneath the nail.
Prevent fungal infections by following these tips:
- Practice good hygiene by regular washing of hands and feet.
- Keep toenails cut short and straight.
- Wear shoes that are made of breathable material like canvas to allow for air circulation around the feet. Also ensure that footwear is not tight.
- If your feet sweat, change socks frequently and wear socks that are effective at wicking away moisture.
- Never share shoes, as fungus can remain in shoes and be transferred to the feet. There are anti-fungal powders that can be applied to footwear to prevent fungal spores from growing.
- Try to alternate shoes, especially after a workout to allow them to air out.
- Always wear shoes in public areas like swimming pools, shower/locker rooms.
- Seek treatment immediately if you notice any abnormalities in the condition or color of the skin or nails.
If you suspect a fungal infection, it is important to consult with an experienced podiatrist for the most effective treatment. Dr. Gabriel Maislos of Houston Foot & Ankle Care, serving the Southwest Houston, is a board-certified podiatrist who has successfully treated many patients with fungal infections. Dr. Maislos is one of the few providers in the Houston area for the Pinpointe FootLaser treatment, which effectively kills nail fungus that lives in and underneath the nail without pain or other medications. Houston Foot & Ankle Care also provides care for those with nerve-related pain, heel pain, diabetic foot problems, and foot deformities like bunions and hammertoes. To schedule an appointment, please contact us or call us at (713) 541-3199 today!