Feet are one of the most neglected parts of the body. They are the most used too, which can lead to problems. Before you start experiencing foot pain, implement these daily foot care tips into your regimen.
Steps For Healthy Feet
- Keep feet clean:Use warm, soapy water to wash your feet, and pat them dry with a soft towel.
- Inspect each foot carefully: You should look for swelling, discoloration, unusual odor, cold spots, or open sores.
- Trim nails: It’s important to keep your nails trimmed to prevent ingrown toenails. Always trim them straight across as well.
- Treat open wounds: If you see any scratches or minor cuts, rub a small amount of antibiotic ointment on them. Avoid wearing open shoes until the scratches and cuts have healed, so you don’t get any germs and debris in them.
- Treat blisters: Rub a small amount of antibacterial cream on the blister. Do not break the blister. Place a bandage on it and wear socks to protect it and help it heal.
- Rub away calluses and corns: Use a pumice stone on your feet to gently rub the calluses and corns away. Do not hurt yourself by rubbing too hard. Be gentle and patient with your feet.
- Moisturize dry feet: Massage your feet with lotion. Be sure to get the lotion in between your toes as well as the bottoms, tops, and sides of your feet.
What To Do When You Have Foot Problems
If you have any wounds that refuse to heal or pain in any area of your foot, you should see a foot doctor. You do not want to get an infection, which could lead to many other problems.
In addition, there are some foot problems that you may not be able to get rid of such as warts or stubborn ingrown toenails. A doctor will need to use his skills and possibly medication to get rid of the issues as quickly and safely as possible.
Need Help With Your Foot Care Routine? Contact Dr. Maislos
For more information on podiatry issues, contact Dr. Maislos to set up an appointment. The Houston office number is (713) 541-3199.