As you age, your body may not be able to keep up as well with your mind and spirit. Your feet have no doubt endured years of walking, running, dancing, jumping, and all kinds of movements, which can lead to a variety of problems like bunions, hammertoes, corns, calluses, heel pain, and fungal infections. Maintaining good foot health is important in order to prevent these types of issues.
A Podiatrist’s Foot Care Tips for Seniors
- Monitor your feet through frequent inspections, tending to any new cuts, bruises, growths and or changes in skin.
- Wear proper shoes by looking for ones that have ample support and shock absorption, as well as wide toe boxes to avoid unwanted pressure.
- Wear custom orthotics that are molded to your specific feet to treat abnormal foot function that could cause bunions, hammertoes and other problems.
- If you are prone to falls or have trouble balancing, an ankle foot orthotic can help stabilize your ankle.
- Keep toenails clean and cut straight across to prevent ingrown toenails.
- Remember to wash and dry between the toes to prevent fungal infections that thrive on moist and warm environments.
- Even if you can’t exercise like you used to, it is important to keep blood flowing by elevating your feet while sitting, and doing exercises and stretches.
- If you have diabetes, see a podiatrist regularly to prevent serious problems like infections.
Sometimes despite your best efforts, problems can arise, in which case you should consult with a board-certified podiatrist like Dr. Gabriel Maislos at Houston Foot & Ankle Care. Dr. Maislos is a highly respected foot care specialist in Southwest Houston who listens and works closely with you to tackle all types of foot and ankle conditions including tarsal tunnel syndrome, plantar fasciitis, injuries, and diabetic foot problems. His numerous certifications and specialties keep him at the forefront of podiatric issues and modern technologies. Please contact us or call us at (713) 541-3199 to schedule an appointment!