Used in precise doses, Botox® may be used as a successful solution for a number of podiatric concerns, including heel pain, plantar fasciitis, and hyperhidrosis. In Houston, experienced podiatrist Dr. Maislos, DPM, FACFAS, FAENS, and Dr. Lin, DPM, provide Botox as a treatment option if you’re facing these concerns and wish to improve your foot health and functionality. Botox offers surprising and impressive benefits beyond the cosmetic realm. To learn more, call Houston Foot and Ankle Care or use online booking to schedule your consultation today.
Botox Q & A
What is Botox?
Botox is obtained from a toxin that’s created by the clostridium botulinum bacteria. When injected into certain muscles in minor, diluted amounts, Botox makes the muscles weaker and blocks the signals from nerves to muscles, temporarily paralyzing your muscle activity.
When your muscles are unable to contract, you may experience an array of benefits such as relief from pain caused by tight and restricted tendons and a reduction in inflammation.
Botox is a quick in-office injection Dr. Maislos provides that only takes a few minutes to complete, usually without the need for anesthesia. Most people don’t experience any discomfort, and, in many cases, more than one area can be treated at the same time depending on your medical situation.
The number of injections necessary depends on the area Dr. Maislos is treating. Once the procedure is complete, there’s no downtime and you can return to your daily activities right away. Botox begins working within the first few days after your treatment and can last for three months or more.
Who is a good candidate for Botox?
Most people are good candidates for Botox. During your initial consultation, Dr. Maislos discusses your goals, expectations, and concerns, helping to determine if Botox is right for you.
You’re not suitable for Botox if any of the following applies:
- You have a neurological disease
- You’re breastfeeding or pregnant
- You have certain other medical conditions that could impact your treatment
What foot and ankle conditions can be treated with Botox?
Dr. Maislos treats a variety of foot conditions with Botox, including:
- Hyperhidrosis: excessive sweating
- Gastrocnemius equinus: a condition involving a limitation in the upward bending motion of the ankle joint
- Heel pain and plantar fasciitis: inflammation of the tissue band under your foot that connects your heel bone and toes
- Achilles tendinitis: irritation and inflammation of your Achilles tendon that runs down the back of your lower leg and connects your calf muscles to your heel bone
In many cases, Dr. Maislos can combine Botox with other treatment methods for optimal results.
What are the benefits of Botox for foot care?
Botox offers many benefits, such as:
- Effective results with no downtime
- Nonsurgical and not pharmaceutical
- A quick and convenient in-office treatment
- Little to no pain and medically proven, impressive results
To learn more about the benefits of Botox and to find out if it’s right for you, call Houston Foot and Ankle Care or use online booking to schedule your consultation today.